No place for racial discrimination at UF

President Kent Fuchs
November 22, 2016

Dear Students, Faculty and Staff,

In the past week, we’ve seen incidents of racist vandalism on and around our campus. I want to be clear that there is no place for racial discrimination at the University of Florida. I also want to be clear that I view statements and symbols of hate as being contrary to the mutual respect and understanding which we value and cherish on our campus and which are so vital to the University’s educational goals.  

The University of Florida is a community of learners, educators and scholars. We encourage open and honest dialogue. We strive to understand one another and embrace our rich diversity.

As I wrote in my op-ed in the Independent Florida Alligator last week, my prayer is that I and every UF student, faculty and staff member will practice humanity and kindness. In these times of such hostility, we have the opportunity to be leaders in demonstrating good will and empathy for others.

The emotions running through our community are as varied as the people who make up the university. I encourage you to participate in open, respectful dialogue and to listen to others, even when it is difficult.

If you are the victim of a crime, please report it to the police. If you are the victim of discriminatory behavior, please report it to the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs. As always, if you are aware of students in distress for any reason, please refer them to U Matter, We Care at umatter@ufl.edu

With warmth and best wishes for the Thanksgiving break, 

W. Kent Fuchs

President, University of Florida